Monday 11 February 2013

A 'Mission Impossible'


Aren't they cute?
 Hello Everyone, I've not been able to do any posts for a few days as I've been away recording an album with my Dad. Not drums this time but backing vocals instead. However, that does not mean I have not been cooking - quite the opposite. I had the perfect opportunity to prove that I am the Delicious Man by cooking for our friend and producer. The kitchen and tools were not what I'm familiar with and time was not really on my side either, however, when cooking, I really get a kick out of a 'mission impossible' as it were. So, what did I cook? Here we go: Operation Tagliatelle and beef meatballs in a sweet, tomato sauce with spinach.



Time: 20 mins
Serves: 4

RECIPE

Advertising the Combino
range at Lidl in our friends kitchen.
 1) Glug olive oil into a large, heavy base frying pan, finely chop a garlic clove and one large/two small red onions, fry gently in the oil and scrape to one side when soft. Add another glug of oil to the empty side of the pan and plop in sixteen meatballs. When they start browning, slosh in a small amount of a red wine and let the meatballs finish cooking while you start on the pasta.
 2) You will need 500g or so of tagliatelle, depending on how hungry your guests are, in a saucepan on boiling water. A pinch of salt and you're away.
 3) By now your meatballs should be cooked so you can add a jar of that wonderful Lidl tomato sauce and a tin of chopped tomatoes. Sprinkle in a handful of fresh spinach but don't stir it in. Put the lid on the pan and let it bubble away. The heat inside should wilt the spinach. 
 4) Keep an eye on your pasta as tagliatelle has the habit of getting gloopy quickly. Have a taste, it should be slightly under done so that you can leave it in the water for a tad after it's off the hob. After a few minutes drain the water leaving a little still in there and add a healthy glug of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Put the lid on and give the pan a toss around to get the pasta coated in oil. And there you have it, you are done!
A very simple salad
While away, we went to this great little Indian.
The lamb Chana Balti was delish!

 So what do you think? I enjoyed every minute of cooking this dish and I'm sure you will too. Its simplicity, again, is what makes it. I served this with some baguettes and a salad of Italian lettuces, red onion and baby plum tomatoes simply cause I had so little time but it went down a real treat. Absolute silence after serving is usually a very good or a very bad sign but, thankfully, it was not the latter. My Dad, stated while I was cooking that I am the Delicious Man! Oh yeah! One down, six billion or so to go... 




Seasoned with Joy,


Jacob













"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly


No comments:

Post a Comment