Friday 15 February 2013

The British Staple: Curry...Really?

This had me in hysterics! I play drums too so watching
him cooking and doing this was super cool.
 You would be forgiven for thinking something along the lines of, "This dude only cooks Italian!" Well, let me put you at rest. The next thing that I started to experiment with took me to the next level: curry. Intense flavours like garlic and chilli mingling with all the subtle flavours of coriander, cardamon and coconut. Curry really would change my way of thinking in the kitchen. 
 Yes, I have Jamie to thank for inspiring me to try this dish but also my older brother, Joe, who first led the expedition in making it for real. Once done, it truly was amazing. Since I had only helped out with this one, I knew that one day I would have to try it for myself, by myself.
 Over the next few days, I tried making a roast dinner for the family (which I thought was the British staple!) which worked really well but my hands hurt quite a bit from forcing a blunt knife through all the veg that needed preparing. I soon learned the importance of having a good, sharp knife and so I set out on a search for one. (See 'Tools For the Job') At a food festival I came across this one. 
And here it is, my very first knife!
I still have it today and it is sharper than ever. Another lesson learned quickly was that you cannot make a jus from frozen lamb steaks. (If you read the first post it will have forewarned you that you would end up laughing at my mistakes!) There I was trying to scrape stuff out of the tray in which they had been baked along with some garlic cloves, roasted carrots and potatoes which I blended together to create this disgusting gloop. Let me tell you now, it does not work!
 Anyhow, what does this have to do with curry?
 This dish has seen some evolution over the years also with a good deal of freedom for variation too but I'll get to that later. I will also add that this particular recipe is enough to serve fourteen or so people which, for my family, does perfect but for yourselves it may work better for using at dinner parties or something synonymous. To the cooking!

Time:
Serves: 14-15

RECIPE:

 1) Preheat your oven to 220 degrees and place 2kg of chicken breasts in a large, roasting tray. Drizzle with olive oil and crack some salt a pepper over them. I also sprinkle some tikka spice blend over them too. Add a splash of water to the tray to stop the chicken drying out and bung them in. 
 2) Take a small saucepan and boil in salted water four, peeled potatoes chopped in small chunks while you add some olive oil to a large pot. Take three onions and three garlic cloves, dice away and then add these to the hot oil with a tablespoon of mustard seeds and a little crushed cardamon. When the seeds start to pop then dump in two cups of red lentils with another splash of oil. Stir and boil your kettle to make 600ml of chicken stock. Take a teaspoon each of fenugreek, tumeric, paprika, tikka spice, and a little ground cumin and stir that in. Add half of the stock and then drain your potatoes. Wait a few minutes before plopping those in and adding the other half of the stock with two bay leaves. Let it simmer until the potatoes are cooked through.
 3) Open two cans of chopped tomatoes, pour those in and stir. I do have a few Jamie recipes for curry pastes but if I haven't made one of those then I use a jar of Balti or Tikka Massala for a good cheat. Your chicken should be done so you can now cut that up into whatever size you like so strips, cubes or not at all even. Let this really simmer away, keeping it on the stir so that it doesn't stick and then you can add either single cream, coconut cream or even Yeo Valley yogurt. Garnish with some coriander and you should have before you a pretty darn good curry!

Point to note: I do not profess for a moment that this curry is a hundred percent authentic!

My finished result with a healthy dollop
of  really thick coconut cream
 You may be wondering where all the heat in this curry is. Well, I have to cook for quite an age range so I have to insure that it stays mild and spices are added individually. If you are looking for something a little more stomach-lining removing, tongue dissolving or look-at-it-and-your-eyes-boil then by all means add some chillis with the onions or some cayenne with the other spices; you get to decide.
This curry is delicious (like me!) with garlic and coriander naan breads topped with cheese. Most rices would go well too though if you are looking for the easiest rice then I would recommend a good quality basmati of some sort. However, when I was at this Indian restaurant a while back, I had this wonderful rice with fried chicken and prawns. It really was a meal in itself!
Are the colours not amazing? You
can almost smell this stuff...
 Whatever happens, remember to have fun while you are doing it. If you lose the enjoyment then there is little point. Mistakes happen, endeavor to carry on.


Seasoned with Contentment,

Jacob








"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment