Thursday 11 April 2013

Tools For The Job - Part 3

My new toy!
Bzzzz! Whizzz! 
Done in seconds
 I know, I thought I'd finished this but it appears that it may well be an ongoing thing. My reason for continuing this is because I purchased a new toy: a Kenwood food processor. I'd been meaning to get something synonymous for a while and now I have. To put it lightly, it sure does the job! It has multiple blades and whatnot too so the menu here widens and I am greatly excited as to what may be concocted in my kitchen. I've done the onions and garlic for a curry in it, grated carrot and cheese took only a moment too. It is also good for bread-crumbing butter and flour for pastries which I have also tried. 
 There are plenty of horror stories out there of bodily extremeties being removed by such equipment and I've seen some first hand. My Dad, for instance, bought a 'mandolin' a few years back and lost the knuckle on one of his fingers. If you have one of these, I think you should consider using chainsaw gloves perhaps... If you guys have had anything similar happen to you, friends or family then write and tell me all about it. Go to Your Blog! right now.
 Another not so orthodox tool that I possess is this giant potato masher. It's certainly quite a beast but can really speed things up if doing large amounts. For instance, gnocchi may be on the menu in which case a regular hand masher won't do the trick but one like this removes the chance of still having lumps. (Yes, you can get smaller ones!)
This one was cool too
 You'll find that most people have a spatula or even multiple size spatulas in their kitchen but have you ever used a spoonula? This seemingly bizarre object is most useful tool to me and is quite versatile in its application. If you get the right type, they can be used in very high temperatures so working with melted sugar just got a whole lot easier.
Not your standard kitchen appliance!
 One other tool I will mention. Does anyone else out there like to have music in their kitchen while they are cooking? I don't always but if I do, I love a bit of lounge jazz. "Take Five" (which, for a laugh, I tried playing just now to find it a little tricky) or something like that. Not 'scat' or anything with lyrics but just something backgroundish to kind of set a relaxing atmosphere. You sure need it sometimes! 
The Tools For the Job
 I did make mention in Tools For The Job - Part 2 of knife skills. If you are wanting to get practising then I highly recommend you visiting my Videos page. On there is one of Jamie teaching you what knives are what, how to handle the knife, different types of cutting, etc, so give that a watch and get slicing. (Not your fingers or your boss!)

~Take care Everyone~















"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator
of the universe and to spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment