Friday 7 June 2013

One of My First Three Course Meals

A black-bottom peanut butter pie (Pillsbury.com)
 My chef/baker friend who taught me all about Sourdough and his family were staying with us along with another family a few years ago and we had planned to do a meal for both sets of parents and my Mum and Dad. Making a simple but really nice evening meal and creating an atmosphere for it is one of my favourite things to do. (I'm not sure about you but I'm not so keen on the "being serenaded" bit though.)
 Anyhow, we brainstormed a menu and came up with a three course meal within a few hours. It went something like...






~oOo~

A chicken and vegetable soup with home-made bread rolls

~ Smoked cheese and pea white sauce penne topped with a whole, breaded chicken  
breast with parma ham and cheese 

Black bottom peanut butter pie served with whipped cream

~oOo~




Now there's a 'baby face' if ever I saw one!
 Together we knuckled down and started the prep. Only a day before had he shown me how to correctly use a chef's knife when making the chicken and vegetable soup with a real chicken stock made from scratch. (That really is the "Bee's knees" and there is no substitute that comes close.) Already I was noticing the differences in my level of control and how much more effective I was in the kitchen though.
 The next thing we did was an all American dessert, 'Black-bottom Peanut Butter Pie'. Diabetics are forewarned! If you are a sweet tooth then you will fall in love with this dish and if you know anyone who is a sweet tooth and serve this to them, you will have a friend for life and beyond. 
Apparently bread rolls are on the rise...
 As soon as that was in the fridge, we made a start on the main course which involved breading chicken breasts. This is great fun and you can really get in a rhythm. Firstly we wrapped grated cheese around the breasts with the ham and then went through the process of egg, seasoned flour, egg, bread crumbs. While these baked, I then made a  delicious creamy white sauce with smoked cheese. Oh, man, I loved that.
 Anyhow, the table was set, the guests were 'arriving' and I was running out of time. The 'head-chef' had to go and change which I knew had to happen but I was getting a little freaked out. I just remember him telling me all cool as a cucumber as he untied his apron before leaving, "You take care of it, mate." Due to the starters needing to be all plated up right then, I had no choice but to get over it and plough on. I was not completely alone in this endeavour as I had previously employed the aid of my younger sister (who currently does the fantastic job of most of my photography) and a younger brother as a waiter but that did not alleviate the responsibility of being in command of literally everything. 
Making the mixture for our peanut butter extraveganza!
(Unfortunately, the photography was still under
development.)
 I had no need for my fretting, however, the meal was a complete success and I had learned much. Every course was near perfect. There are few things that give me the same sense of satisfaction of seeing those whom I have cooked for pleased with whatever it is I have made and I have no doubt that it will again and again continue to do so. 
 What would my next challenge be...



 Seasoned with Achievement,

 Jacob





"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator  
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment