Saturday 12 October 2013

Billings, MT: Golden Corral Buffet

Welcome to an American buffet!
 After a few days, it was time to hit the road again. This time I'm heading north up to Billings, Montana which is a few hours so some snacks are needed. Now the last time I was in the States in 2007 there were a few snacks that seemed to become standard. Ritz crackers, grapes and the infamous baby carrots. It was much hotter in 2007 as I was over during the summer months so water bottles left out of the coolbox became hot enough to stick a tea bag in. And when left in their resealable bag, baby carrots end up warm... The idea doesn't seem pleasant, I understand, but I now associate that taste with being on the road.
 So, after munching on warm baby carrots, I was ready for some proper food. I checked in to a Motel with WiFi to do some blogging but it was super frustrating as I couldn't get enough connection. Blast. But a visit to the Golden Corral buffet can fix most problems!
A medium-rare ribeye steak with breaded shrimp, veggies,
mashed potatoe with gravy, cornbread stuffing and chips
Ah, the taste of the road:
warm 'baby' carrots
 Golden Corral are a buffet chain that do nearly every type of food imaginable. Seriously: you name it, they got it! Fried chicken wings to enchiladas to fresh watermelon to Banoffee pie... Started in the 70's, there are now around 500 Golden Corral restaurants nationwide. They offer a self serve buffet system divided into sections such as the pizzeria, the grill, the salad bar and the Brass Bell Bakery which boasts some delicious treats. (I learned later that the bakery gets its name from having a brass bell chime every fifteen minutes to announce that fresh rolls, cakes, etc, had just come out of the oven.)
Stand aside, baby carrots!
 After having been to many buffets in the States when I was younger, I have come to understand that there is a method or a technique if you will as to how you plate up. I used to just walk along the buffet, piling on whatever I liked the look of until I could not physically get any more on my plate. However, this can end in a disaster and completely ruin your meal. Sweet 'n' sour on your brussel sprouts or curry with cornbread I'm sure you'll agree isn't exceptionally tasteful. So, I now peruse the buffet without taking anything, decide what I fancy and then start again, serving myself a proper 'meal'. (In my opinion.)
 In the dessert section, there was what they call a 'chocolate fountain'. (See below.) It's sounds like something out of a dream, right? Well, it's real! I knew they existed but I've never been able to try one until now. Skewer some strawberries and marshmallows and plunge it under until coated with a glossy, brown, dripping coat of deliciousness!


"Bon apetit!"


Seasoned with Technique,

Jacob

P.S. Anybody got some Alka-Seltzer? He, he!



Right, what shall I have?








I like these little chilli/soup bowls




Hmmm... I think I'd like a chocolate fountain







"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment