Wednesday 7 August 2013

Cooking in Scotland

(Another 'baby face' photo)
The trout sure smelt good when it came out!
 Cooking in Scotland was a great experience. I have lived there twice now and have sampled many of the traditional dishes including haggis which I actually quite like. Due to the fact that we lived only half a mile from a large loch, I was able to acquire from our neighbour two trout which were absolutely delicious. 
(Images) Haggis, neeps...and a nip. As Tim Hawkins would
say, "Liqour referrence!"
 Also, oatcakes. Now if you have tried oatcakes then you will probably understand why one of my friends described them as "compacted sawdust", however, do not let this put you off. (Though it is very true.) They are delicious with soft cheeses, cured hams, tomatoes, etc. A chap who my brother worked for had them with feta cheese and olives.
 I did get to do some cooking including an evening meal with an elderly neighbour of ours who used to run a hotel so I was able to learn much. How to cook a perfect steak and a proper pepper (tongue twister!) sauce for it. Apparently, a good way of testing whether a steak is tender enough is to pinch either side of it with your thumb and fore finger. If you can just about feel your fingers through the steak then you know you've done a good job tenderising it.
My delicious pizza! Click here for a brilliant recipe.
 Now, this is your chance to point and laugh at me. Because the village in which my family and I were living in was pretty remote, eating out or even ordering a home delivery was rather difficult. So, I put my capitalist hat on and decided to start a pizza delivery service. I could make and cook pizzas from scratch in no time whatsoever, it would be brilliant fun! (See previous posts, 'As-Authentic-As-You-Like Pizza' and 'Homemade Vegetarian Pizzas feat. Simron Biant') I called around, gave people a menu and sat back to wait for orders... It kind of worked. Well, okay, I got one order anyhow.

Seasoned with Learnedness,

Jacob


Fresh line caught, Scottish trout from the Loch half a mile
from our house


To read more about my experiences in Scotland, click on the links below






Fish work really well for display



Being taught how to cook a steak with pepper sauce

Rub rock salt all over it and stuff the herbs in the slits. Gorgeous!



"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

1 comment:

  1. Aw yeah that is a baby face! Haha. The fish looks gorgeous though :)

    ReplyDelete